Monday, January 9, 2012

Going back to Africa this August!

There are lots of reason not to go. The timing isn't perfect. I have two babies who need their mommy. I'm starting back as a teacher in late August. It's risky. Yes, I know all of those reasons are valid. However, God keeps telling me to go. So, it's pretty simple. I'm going!
I am happy to share that I will be leading a Visiting Orphans Mission Trip to Uganda and Kenya in early August! Just 8 months away. The itinerary is not set yet but I will be working with VO this week to put it together. All of the details will fall in place but for now I am looking for 10-12 FUN, LOVING, COMPASSIONATE, ADVENTUROUS people to join my team.

Katie Davis' book, Kisses by Katie, was just one of the reasons my heart pulled back to the orphans of Africa. Below is the paragraph that I have read over and over again with such conviction. I have read it to my hubby, mother and best friend. It helps the people closes to me understand why I must go and why I must serve!
"People often ask if I think my life is dangerous, if I am afraid. I am much more afraid of remaining comfortable. Matthew 10:28 tells us not to fear things that can destroy the body but things that can destroy the soul. I am surrounded by things that can destroy the body. I interact almost daily with people who have deadly diseases, and many times I am the only person who can help them. I live in a country with one of the wolds's longest running wars taking place just a few hours away. Uncertainty is everywhere. But I am living in the midst of the uncertainty and risk, amid things that can and do bring physical destructions, because I am running from things that can destroy my soul: complacency, comfort, and ignorance. I am much more terrified of living a comfortable life in a self-service society and failing to follow Jesus than I am of any illness or tragedy." -Katie Davis' Kisses by Katie Introduction

Picture from Katie's Blog: http://www.kissesfromkatie.blogspot.com/
I have always loved this verse!
Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" This is exactly how I feel. I am willing and able, so please God, send me!

Often I look into the eyes of Easton and Preston and it takes my breath away. They are absolutely beautiful children and have blessed my life beyond belief. The fact is that my children could have been children growing up in an orphanage. Easton was in an orphanage with no one to rock him, to hold his bottle or to sing to him. It breaks my heart. Typing those words instantly fill my eyes with tears. It hurts to know that he was an orphan. It hurts to think about the 163 Million orphans that do not have someone to hold them, feed them, and sing to them. For 10 days in August, I will be THAT PERSON to any child that I can get my arms around. This is why I am going because I am needed.
This is a picture of the cribs in Easton's orphanage:

If you have any interest in serving beside me please email me at Ryanashlie@aol.com

In Christ,

1 comment:

Naomi said...

That is wonderful!!! I have been following your blog for a couple of years now ever since I hoped to travel with you and Kari back in 2010 to ET and Uganda. Actually, amazingly...... my husband and I leave for Uganda THIS Thursday and will be traveling with a member of staff from AWAA. We are their first pilot family adopting from Uganda. We have never been before, never even been to Africa and will be leaving our four children at home, one adopted from China. We believe that God is calling us to adopt at least two children. We are nervous, excited and will hopefully be serving at Amazima this Saturday and also SixtyFeet whom we have really come to love.

I know just what you mean about following the Lord even when it sounds crazy!

Blessings to you,
Naomi