Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Words I Couldn't Say at the Shower

This was the "Thank You" letter that I sent to everyone at the shower. I just thought I would share it on the blog, since the words mean so much to me.

Dear Friends and Family,
During Easton’s shower I planned to
share my heart with you, I wanted to tell
you how excited Ryan and I are for Easton’s arrival
and tell you how your support means the world to us. I
wanted you to know that this journey has been the
highlight of our lives. I wanted you to know that
having a team of people providing for Easton gives us
peace and we couldn’t imagine doing it without
you.

Having a baby shower without being pregnant was not as I imagined it. I dreamed of having a typical shower with a round belly, baby games, and hearing stories of labor pains. Obviously, that is not how things turned out. What I wanted to tell you was that now I can’t imagine my shower any other way. Being chosen to adopt a baby from Ethiopia is exactly what God had planned for Ryan and I. The shower wasn’t how I imagined, it was better!!!

At the beginning of our journey we desired to have a child. We did not desire to save a baby from hunger or sickness. We didn’t adopt out of charity or pity. We simply wanted to be parents and raise a child. When we chose Ethiopia we looked at a lot of research. It all boiled down to the age of the babies, time and cost. Although, we didn’t choose Ethiopia because of the orphan crisis, we now cannot deny it. What we have learned, from the UNICEF Ethiopia Demographic and Health Survey, is that one out of every 20 children born alive die in their first month of life and one out of ten die before reaching their first birthday. Malnutrition and preventable diseases, such as acute respiratory infection and measles, are the main causes. UNICEF also estimates that one in ten Ethiopia children, about 4.6 million are orphaned. We realize that adoption is not the answer to the orphan crisis; however, we know that Easton will be one less statistic. Being called to serve orphaned children isn’t just a good idea, it is God’s commandment to us, in Psalm 83:3 it states, “Defend the poor and fatherless; Do justice to the afflicted and needy. Deliver the poor and needy; free them from the hand of the wicked.” We believe that once our eyes have been opened we must act. We must do something, either through adoption, supporting an organization, joining a mission trip, or sponsoring a child. We pray that you not only support and pray for our journey but you start your OWN!

Lastly, I wanted to share my appreciation and love for Ryan. I wanted to tell you how lucky I am to have a husband who supports my passions and has dreams of his own. At the beginning Ryan listened to all of my thoughts, cried with me, and developed his own passions for Ethiopia and orphans. I cannot wait to see him hold Easton in his arms, he’s going to be an amazing father.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your support and love. Easton’s nursery is ready, we could bring him home tomorrow!! I promise to keep you updated on our progression in the process. We are praying for patience as we go through the waiting period.

With Love,
Ashlie, Easton’s Mommy

P.S I hope you are enjoying your CD. The music we chose comes from the songs at church and the radio that have inspired us and helped us through our toughest moments. We hope you find them as inspirational and moving as we do.

No comments: